CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 30, 2008

Flashing Lights on Cold Nights, Part Deux



Again, I spent the night on breaking news without the companionship of my competition. This time it was on what apparently was a drive by shooting in Ohio. Noone was injured, but the real kicker is the shooting quite possibly be related to a drug bust from two weeks ago. The reason I find this interesting and more newsworthy is because it would illustrate how a larger city's drug problem is affecting the smaller surrounding towns. I was told that the assignment desk tried to follow up on this information but was unable to verify what I was being told by my sources. I figure this story will die lying in wait, alone and forgotten. There is possibly no connection, but...we just might be dropping the ball. Either way, I stood at the scene by my lonesome and shot my exclusive footage for the show, the station, and myself.

As in the last few nights, noone but my overnight/morning team took notice to the fact that we had exclusive breaking news. Now, let me say that I am not looking for compliments, I don't need a pat on the back for doing my job...It is my job to get the stories and to beat the competition whenever I possibly can, that's the nature of the beast, I know it. I would just like to know that someone is taking notice that our newsroom is doing the job that is assigned to it, especially the suits upstairs.

Too many rumors float around, especially in the news business. But, just as with myths, some truth exists within rumors however small. And the news industry is going through mass overhaul that seems to be alot like the five stages of dying, and we are in the bargaining stage. Alot of good people are losing jobs in every market and I don't know if being good or at least a hard worker is enough to be immune but I'll give it a shot.

0 comments: