CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Kentucky; NOT a Mid-West State

Okay, we all know that my home state has many disparaging and incorrect images associated with it, and I will address those shortly. Recently, though, I have noticed another misconception rising in the minds of people, even KENTUCKIANS! This thought has been preying on my mind ever since the idea was introduced to me a couple of weeks ago. Somehow, someway Kentucky is starting to be labeled as a mid-western state.

I do not know how this idea was introduced into the minds of Americans, and especially Kentuckians, but it needs to be squashed, NOW. I have a theory that Kentuckians may have started to try this label on for size in an attempt to quelch the "hillbilly" image that has been associated with us for so long. We want everyone else to understand that we are, for the most part, educated and up-to-date. Fine by me, just don't call me a mid-westerner.

Nothing against people from the mid-west states. You are our neighbors( just like the northerners, and the southerners), you do exerpt a certain influence on our culture, and we are a part of the same great nation, so please take no offense to this. All I am asking is, if you are going to label me, label me right. I am quite proud of Kentucky, it took me a while to reach that point, but I have. I love the culture, and I love the state heritage.

The fact that Kentucky was the first "western" state to be explored by our forefathers does not make it mid-western. In all honesty, Kentucky kind of stands on its own. We are what could be considered a "middle" or "Central" state. We culminate culture from the states around us and mix it to make our own. We have mid-western attributes along with southern and northern characteristics. The primary influence of our culture will vary on which region of the state you are in. In my area, the primary influence is "Appalachian."

Let's face it, you really can't judge the culture here unless you experience it and your experience will be different depending on what part of the state you are in. I can tell you this much...we have our share of rednecks, we have country-folk, we have city-folk, and river-folk. We have rockers, goths, punks, divas,banjo-pickers, and ivory-ticklers. We have just as many assholes as we do very kind and gentle people. Here you will find a man in a suit standing beside one with a mullet, just like you'll find the same person listening to country later listening rock or rap. We are a border state in the facet that we cross ALL borders.

For example, I live in an area of Kentucky that borders Ohio and West Virginia. Now, I will not at this time debate on whether we influenced them or they influenced us, but the cultures across the borders are remarkebly similiar. But, if you should travel further north in those states the cultural differences are dramatically different. People in Columbus and Charleston do not think the same way as we do. I can say the same about Indiana, Virginia, and Tennessee, though the cultures in the latter two are definitely related to ours. This proves two points, 1) We are cross-cultural. 2) We are not mid-western or Southern(at least not where I am).

Are we hillbillys? Hell Yes, we are. Our state is made up of the Appalachian foothills. Alot of people mistake these to be mountains, but in fact, they are not. Yes, we have a mountain or two, but the hill is our primary landmark. So, hill+people=hillbillys. Hill+stupid, arrogant, assholish people= rednecks. We should embrace the hillbilly image, revise it, and go on. Why go against what we are? I tell people that I am a "High-Tech Hillbilly," especially when they can't concieve that I am in a field that requires an education along with technical and creative ability. I like my culture, I like my roots, I like opening people eyes to what we really are like as people.

0 comments: